Sunday, September 16, 2012

Why I Like Loot Bags

There is much controversy lately as to whether children should receive loot bags or not. Some feel they promote greed, while others feel they show gratitude to your party guests. For me I like them because I feel they are a developmentally appropriate party staple, especially for younger children, and especially when gifts are opened at the party.

We have all been to parties where young children want to touch all the gifts and perhaps even cry that they want something they see. It's hard for young children to understand why one special kid gets everything while they sit and watch. While I will not argue the fact that this is a part of life and children need to learn they won't always get what they want, I find that when kids learn that they do get a loot bag at the end of the party they feel less left out.

Some parents don't like them because they are often filled with junk that breaks at first touch. Loot bags don't have to be this way though. There are many other cost effective alternatives that have a more useful lifespan and still keep children excited.

Some loot bags that we have done over the years include:

1. For an Elmo themed party the children each received a gold fish. The total cost for this 'loot bag' was less than $4 per child. I printed themed labels to put over the fish food container and added a thank you note.



2. For a Ninja Turtle theme I made these bags using green craft bags and construction paper. Inside was a TMNT comic book, crayons, colouring sheets and some TMNT candy. Total cost per child was less than $3.



3. For a Blues Clues theme I made Pail and Shovel by drawing faces with permanent marker. Inside I put a small beach ball, Blues Clues notebook, and crayons. I also wrote the children's names on the back of the bucket. I wrapped them in cellophane for presentation, and added Blues Clues stickers for extra detail. The total cost for this loot bag was about $5 a child.


4. I forgot to take a picture of the loot bags, but for a bowling party I bought the plastic bowling sets from Walmart. They came with 10 pins and 2 balls. I divided them to give each child 5 pins and 1 ball. I wrapped them in cellophane for presentation. It was $5 a child.

5. Now that my kids are older we have been giving a sport ball as a loot bag. My 6 year old gave each child a playground ball in a mesh bag and my 9 year old will give a soccer ball in the same mesh bags at his party. The total cost for this is about $6 a child. While slightly pricey, it promotes active play and is useful.



There are countless ideas on the market for loot bags so you are sure to find something that works with your theme and age group. Try to think outside the 'bag' and find something cost effective and useful.

Giving loot bags can also teach the birthday child a life lesson in thankfulness so it's win win all around. Happy Looting!

Use the comment section to share your favourite or least favourite loot bags. Do you like the idea of loot bags or wish they would just go away?



1 comment:

  1. Hi. I absolutely love your ball loot bags!! I am having a ball themed birthday party for my twin boys and would love to use that idea however cannot find the mesh bags. Can you please tell me where you purchased them Thank you!

    ReplyDelete